The Central Shenandoah Criminal Justice Training Academy is a Certified Criminal Justice Training Academy under the authority of the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services.
The Academy was established in 1972 as a multi-jurisdictional regional training facility, and was first located on the campus of Blue Ridge College in Weyers Cave, Virginia.
Circa 1975, the Academy moved to Waynesboro, Virginia, and located its facility on Pine Street. In 1985, the Academy moved to 211 West Twelfth Street, in Waynesboro, in the old Crompton Building at the South River Complex. At that location, the Academy membership grew to serve the training needs of more than 71 jurisdictions and 1800 criminal justice professionals.
In August 1998, the Academy Board undertook a major decision to build a new Academy facility, designed to fulfill the training needs of the Academy membership for the next thirty years. The Academy Board chose the new site for the Academy facility to be constructed in Weyers Cave, Virginia, on Academy-owned property next to Blue Ridge Community College.
In October 1998, after significant Board discussions that resulted in a loss of agency members, 53 member agencies of the Academy Board proceeded to build the new Academy facility under a new Academy charter which allowed obtaining funding for the Academy project. In 2001, the Academy Board increased to 57 member agencies and more than 1500 criminal justice professional with the return of four of our original agencies to the Academy.
On January 28, 2002, the Academy moved its training programs to the Weyers Cave Academy with an increasing ability to deliver quality training to our member agencies.
The Academy membership includes 58 member agencies with over 2000 criminal justice professionals. The Academy spans from Central to Northwestern Virginia, with agencies from Fluvanna and Louisa Counties to the east; Albemarle and Rockbridge Counties to the south; the Town of Clifton Forge, Bath, Highland, and Rockingham Counties to the west; and Shenandoah County, Page County and the Town of Culpeper to the north.