top of page

Frequently Asked Questions




How do I maintain my certifications?


All functions except for dispatch require re-certification every two years. You can do on- line training, come to classes at the academy, or attend classes at another location. If you attend classes at another location, make sure you take a Partial In-Service Credit form with you, or they give you one on site (forms are on the DCJS web site). Any classes not pre-approved by DCJS at an off-site location will require a PIC form, signed by the course director, along with an hour by hour break down of the classes.


How do I become a certified law enforcement/jailor/ court security/civil process/dispatch?


You must attend a certified academy to obtain any of the above certifications. Law Enforcement is approximately 20 weeks, jail/court security/civil process approximately 12 weeks and dispatcher approximately 1 1⁄2 weeks.


You must be employed by a criminal justice agency and they will send you to the academy. You must complete a state certification exam if you are in the law enforcement program. You must also complete field training for any of the functions while employed at a criminal justice agency.


How much time do I have to find a job after attending a pre-employment program?


Two years.


How do I receive a copy of my training record?


You must contact your employing agency to receive a copy of your training records. If you are not currently employed with a Department, you will need to contact DCJS for those records. 


How do I register for classes?


Registrations from our affiliated agencies must go through your department training coordinator who will get you registered in TRACER. Registrations from a non-affiliated agency will also go through TRACER. If the training calendar states "Academy not taking Registrations" you will need to click on the class title and read the Training Annoucement to be diredcted the proper registration process.


If I leave employment, how do I maintain certification?


Once you leave employment at a criminal justice agency, your certification expires. You do have a limited amount of time to become employed at another criminal justice agency, and that time varies. Depending on how long you are out of service, determines what you can do to become re-certified. You may only have to do in-service classes, or if you have been out for a longer period of time, would have to attend an entire academy. You can contact the academy for further clarification. You cannot maintain your certifications without being employed in criminal justice.


Can I get college credit for attending the academy?


You can possibly get college credits for attending the academy. You will need a training curriculum from your basic class, and will need to submit that to your college. The academy has no control over what credits you may receive.  Click here to view some colleges that accept college credit for attending the academy.


Can I get in-service credit for attending college?


Yes, please visit the DCJS web site for the forms.


How do I become a general instructor/firearms instructor/driving instructor/defensive tactics instructor/radar instructor?


You must attend a basic general instructor course, and if you want the additional certifications, attend a basic appropriate skills instructor class. You must do an apprenticeship for all instructor courses, and you must teach at the academy to maintain those certifications. You should contact your department training coordinator about attending any instructor courses.

bottom of page